Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Where there's a will theres a way!

Hey! So today is weigh-in Wednesday. I had a good week losing 8.6 pounds. And that even included a trip out to a restaurant for dinner one night. So not too shabby if I do say so myself. That puts me at just over 60 pounds since I started this journey 10 weeks ago. Every week I post my weigh-in numbers on my facebook page and my friends and family comment and leave supportive statements and it's been great to see those. I have other friends that are currently going thru their own weight loss journey's and between the replies they get and the ones I get, I noticed a recurring theme. "How are you doing it?" and "Where do you get the will power?". That's what this blog is going to be about. The Willpower to improve yourself.

I don't think I have the answer to these people's questions. I believe that everyone has their own reasons for doing what they are doing. I can only tell you mine. My willpower comes down to this. I want a better life for myself!!! For the past several years I didn't care about myself. I tried to help other people when I could but I didn't love myself. I did the bare minimum to get by in the world. As long as I could go to work and provide for myself, pay my bills, I really didn't care about anything else. Eventually it just got too hard to do that any more and I hit rock bottom. I really think this has been like what an alcoholic or drug addict goes thru. I had to hit my lowest point before I woke up and said NO MORE!

 Two years ago I was close and I hired a private trainer to come to my home and help me work out. He was great and I dropped some weight but once the sessions where over I just went back to my old ways. I wasn't yet desperate to change my life. Late last year and early this year I hit that mark. And just like an addict I went away and got into therapy. In my case it was moving in with my parents so I could get proper nutrients and get myself set on a exercise routine. I'm nearing my goal of 100 pounds before returning home to continue my journey. Just like an addict I have to return to the real world and continue what I have learned here. Will I be successful? I think so. I have a lot of goals and things I want to be able to do and I have a solid core group of friends that will help and support me when I return home.

If you are one of the people that wonder where I get the willpower, just ask yourself if your happy with the way you are? If not, make a change. Start off small. Get a food scale and measure your portion size. Count your calories. When you see how much your eating you will make the change. Try to get a small walk in each day. I know its difficult and frustrating when you first start but before you know it you will get into a routine and you will be doing these things like it was perfectly natural. I'm a walking billboard that says you can do it! You just have to flip that switch inside your mind from negative to positive.

Take care, until next time!

4 comments:

  1. When you return I have already told you that I am going to be there to keep you on the right track of keeping the weight coming off by joining you at the gym and boxing with you...so ready to go out and have some fun with my brother from another mother...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can come with me to bootcamp anytime. First class is free and maybe it's something you would enjoy. Or we could always walk my nature trail with the pups in tow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I'm certainly ready for a gym partner!

    For me, the hardest part about losing weight is that you can't quit food like you can quit drinking or smoking. You have to eat. And let's face it, our society is not tailored to make healthy eating easy. It's so much easier to hit the drive-thru after work than to go home and cook something healthy. Healthy food at the grocery store is expensive, but junk is cheap. And they wonder why the population is becoming increasingly more obese??

    And then you get jobs like ours where you plop your ass in a chair all day and stare at a computer.

    I'm proud of you for wanting to get healthy. I think you're like the big brother I never had, and I'm excited for you to get back to B'more so we can encourage each other... *sniffle sniff, I just might cry...*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen,

      Let me know when you want to go to PF and I'll work it into my schedule. I agree with you about hitting the drive thru but that's why I'm at where I am. That's why I've been finding crock pot and easy dinner recipes. If something cooks in the crock pot all day then dinner is ready when you get home. Have a good meal and then you have your protein and energy to go workout. I can't wait to get back and see you guys. Less than two weeks to go!

      Gary

      Delete