Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Getting Started.

Hi. My name is Gary and like two-thirds of Americans I am obese. Actually I am morbidly obese by medical standards. I won't be posting my actual weight as that is private and a bit humiliating that I didn't care about myself enough to stop what I was doing to myself.

My weight got to be such an issue that I was basically unable to continue going to work. Each morning became harder and harder to push myself to go to work as I didn't look forward to the walk in from the parking lot. By most standards it wasn't a long walk at all, except for me. At the end I was stopping and resting two to three times before I actually made it to my desk. Walking to the bathroom was also a strain on me. I was usually out of breath by the time I got there and would need to take a seat and rest before heading back to my desk.

This just became too much and I had to reverse the direction my life was taking. With the help of a friend, I packed up some essential equipment and items I would need and moved in with my parents several states away. Aware that I would probably lose my job and would be living off of my savings for several months as I try to reduce my weight to something I can manage my life at.

A bit about my habits that got me to where I was. I drank several soda's a day. Did not eat well at all. Sometimes only eating once a day. Usually that would be a large meal from McDonalds, Chic-fil-a or Wendy's. These meals would be very high in calories and fat and after returning home from work with my pile of food I would eat and watch tv and not move much. This went on for several years until my knees started hurting just to get up off the couch.

My lifestyle outside of work was very limited. I hardly ever left my house on the weekends unless it was to go get more fast food. I couldn't walk very far so anyplace I went was always difficult and as I couldn't use the facilities at most places I would just stay home. Usually on Saturday nights I had some friends come over and we would order food and watch a movie. I even had my groceries delivered so I wasn't getting any exercise there either. And so I ate, and slept and did much of nothing with my life. Week after week, month after month, year after year. Until now!

Currently I am using the Body bug as seen on The Biggest Loser to track my calories and exercise, I ride a stationary bike every day for at least 30 minutes and have started going to a gym for strength training and to build muscles to burn the fat off. I am just shy of one week in and I'm doing pretty well. Have not had a soda since coming down here and have been drinking 6-8 glasses of water each day. With the help of my parents I have been eating healthy meals and get the 5-6 small meals a day I need. Every so often I will post my weight loss and other tidbits on this blog.

Hopefully it might inspire others to take charge of their life like I am trying to do. All my best!

No comments:

Post a Comment